Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Geo-Caching For The Entire Family!



If you're like me, you're probably wondering what in the world is Ge0-Caching! Well, it's a new discovery I made after reading an article in the Nov. '07 issue of Wonder time. Geo-caching (pronounced geo-cashing) is a new phenominon created by GPS lovers. Basically it's a treasure hunt wherein you use your GSP (global positioning system) unit to help you locate the hidden treasures. Treasures typically consist of little trinkets (troll dolls, beads, pencils, marbels, etc.) left by others who have come before you! The rules are simple, once you locate a cache, you take an item and replace it with one you brought. Rather simple, right!

The article recommended http://www.geocaching.com/, a site that lists by zip code the coordinates for caches. It's a free website, however, you have to join in order to get the information. At first I was rather skeptical because we live in a small town and I had never heard of Ge0-Caching. But upon my first visit, I found over 400 different cache sites in my town alone! Of course I joined and now I am eager to take my family out on a new adventure! The nice thing is that the site actually rates each cache (1-5) so you know ahead of time if it will be appropriate for your little ones. And with all of the "toys" we have from fast food restaurants, we are sure to have enough trinkets to leave for others!!

I will report back after our first treasure hunt mission, but in the mean time, please feel free to share your adventures! I think this is a great new discovery. One that won't cost too much and will involve the entire family!!!

No comments: