Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Open Lines Of Communication With Your Kids

A friend of mine has been giving me some of her magazines and I have truly been enjoying reading them. I recently came across an article that I thought everyone might enjoy. It's from the Nov. '07 issue of Family Fun Magazine.

It's entitled, "Daddy Letters" and shares how one dad decided that he wanted to learn about what his kids really wanted to do with him. He shares how he had always spent personal one and one time with his three kids, but was curious if their preferences had changed over the years.

To pull out his kids "deep thoughts" he decided to mail them each a survey and ask them very specific questions:
* What one thing have you wanted to do with me but never have?
* What one thing would you really like me to teach you or tell you that I never have?
* What have you done with me in the past that you really enjoyed but don't get to do often enough?
* What one thing is really on your mind that you want me to know about?

The results he received were eye opening and helpful. He not only learned what was important to his kids, but also how he could relate to them better on an individual basis.

While this concept may not work for your toddlers, it's certainly a great way to learn more about your slightly older kids.

I will keep this idea in mind for a few years down the road! And kudos to the author ( Dan Schaeffer) for taking such an active role in his kids lives!!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Did the author say how old the kids were? Obviously, 3 years old is too young but this is a great idea for older kids!!

Great post.

Fun Mommy said...

I believe his kids were 12 and under (he has 3 kids) when he started this project. I would think 5+ would be a good time to start!!